Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

G'day I've got a ssz with a secondhand radiator with sludge

Customer Question
in it and would like...
G'day I've got a ssz with a secondhand radiator with sludge in it and would like to flush it out and re fill, where is the drain and any special coolest type required to refill with?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has any work ever been done on the radiator?
Customer: Just over 100000km, we had the radiator replaced bout 3yrs ago but the just put in a reckoned unit so don't know how good that one was, had to top it up with filtered tap water bout 6 months ago now is overheating again and the over flow looks like its full of chocolate milk
JA: What year is your Special?
Customer: 2005 ssz v8 crewman
JA: Are you fixing your Special yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It just started playin up on the way back from work yesterday so am keen to try myself as is the wife's pride and joy lol she thinks I broke it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Prob unrelated but the auto trans seems to be slow to change gear and revs are erratic at times surging and dropping on the open highway
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Australia Car
7/14/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Gary, Australia Car Mechanic replied 5 months ago
Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Hello there,

We need to ascertain whether the contamination of the coolant is engine oil or transmission oil.

If it is trans oil, replace the radiator, internal cooler failure, coolant, trans flush and filter service.

If it is engine oil, probably has a weeping headgasket.

Gary

G'day Gary
No milk in the engine oil, prob trans then. Is it pretty expensive at the local garage to do that do you think?

Hopefully not too much cross contamination.

Radiator plus too flushes will be way cheaper now than waiting for a failure.

I would replace the thermostat at the same time.

Gary

Hello again,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic