Technopro
Technopro, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  20 years of experience in Automotive Repair Techniques and Diagnosis Expert.
13063098

I have a buzzing, static sound coming from the drivers side

Customer Question

I have a buzzing, static sound coming from the drivers side rear inside panel of my 2013 Fanta Fe. It goes away after I slam the rear hatch, but returns after restarting each time.
JA: What is the model of your '13 Hyundai?
Customer: A DM Highlander
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing. I don't know how to remove the panel to see what's causing it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I want to see if I can fix it myself if it is a simple solution.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Technopro replied 12 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I will try to assist you to resolve your issue to the best of my ability.

I understand that there is a buzzing sound and the best way to locate which component is doing that is to remove the rear trim of the tailgate.

Going by the information you have supplied, I have pulled up a pic of your tailgate trim. If you use a hard plastic(kitchen spatula or similar) and insert it in between the trim and the tailgate bottom part and lever it enough to insert your fingers and pull hard. You will be able to unck the trim retaining plastic clips one by one and remove the trim. Be careful, the clips are very brittle and sometimes they may break. They are available from Repco or worse comes to worse from the dealership.

let me know if you can work out what is causing the buzzing sound when you remove the trim.

Good luck.

Regards

Mel.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
This won't help as the noise sounds like static and is coming from the bottom of the panel beneath the speaker between the wheel arch and the back of the vehicle. It's this panel I need to remove.
Expert:  Technopro replied 10 days ago.
No problems. Let me do some research in that area. I'll get back to you by lunch time. Thanks for your patience.
Regards
Mel
Expert:  Technopro replied 10 days ago.

Sorry about the wait, I have attached a pic of the rear trim where the speaker is. Be careful of removing the scres and nut that I have pointed on the pic. Actually, I have attached another pic showing the speaker assembly. I have looked carefully into what other modules are located in this area and I could not find anything else. I believe your buzzing sound might be coming from the speaker itself, it could be a loose wiring connector or something rubbing against the speaker housing or trims and being amplified by the plastics around.

Let me know how you get on with that.

Regards

Mel