Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

I have a 2011 Grand Jeep Cherokkee 5.7L. When cold I am

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I have a 2011 Grand Jeep Cherokkee 5.7L. When cold I am getting engine surging when I slow down to an intersection. If I have the brake on hard it will stall but otherwise it will lurge forward. I have taken it to the local Jeep dealer twice but to no avail.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 60k and Auto
JA: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have taken it to the dealer twice but they are effing hopeless. They said it was fixed last time but got it home and still the same
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am in Australia so do you have someone here in Oz?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If they did not check for any vacuum leaks this needs done.I have seen hard to see vacuum leaks cause this fault like leaking intake gaskets or the brake booster leaking needing replaced.A shop or dealer will usually have to hook up a smoke machine to the engine to inject smoke into the intake to locate any hard to see leaks like intake or brake booster leaks.If this was already done I would have them check the engine coolant temp sensor to see if it is reading incorrectly.If this sensor is reading incorrectly it will cause this as well needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete