Merc320
Merc320, Technician
Experience:  City & guilds pt 1 & 2
22484842

Lost gear selection. Undone the selector from side of gear

Customer Question

Lost gear selection. Undone the selector from side of gear box it moves in and out but the gear shift doesn't move. So assume that the other end of cable is under the centre consul.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: The cable moves back and forward but the gear shift does not move so must be in the cable or where it attaches to the gear stick
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2008 bf series two
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried what I have written but now want to know how much drama to remove the centre console where I assume the other end of the cable is.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No but would like to know if the other end of the cable is accessed by removing the centre console
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Roy replied 4 months ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 4 months ago.

ok, yes, once you remove the console, the other end will be attached to the shifter. it is held by a clip and the goes through the floor at a rubber boot. straight forward repair.

Roy

please take a moment and rate my service. please hit 5 stars so the site will pay me for my efforts. it is the only way we get paid for our efforts

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Have not explained how to remove the console that is my original question
Expert:  Merc320 replied 4 months ago.

Hi

Simple to remove said consule there are 6 screws holding plastic cover.

After that it is straight forward.

Malc