sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

How to tell if your gearbox linkages are causing fifth gear

Customer Question

how to tell if your gearbox linkages are causing fifth gear to pop out
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions + Help via Email or Text Message + Local Mechanic Recommendations. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Haven't heard back yet
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It isn't likely that a linkage issue would cause the transmission to pop out of gear and a problem not be apparent, and it shouldn't cause a problem with a single gear. If it were a linkage issue then it would normally cause an issue with multiple gears.

If you have a linkage issue and it isn't fully engaging the transmission into fifth gear then that would definitely cause it to pop out. What you would need to do is check the shift cable end bushings both at the shifter and transmission for play and/or wear. If the bushings are worn or the cables are otherwise damaged then it won't fully move the arm at the trans to fully engage each gear.You can visually inspect and you can also have a helper move the shifter while you watch for play in the cables.