sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Is there a way to get my 07 Santa Fe to to get the comp.

Customer Question

Hi Eric. Is there a way to get my 07 Santa Fe to to get the comp. Component monitor ready without going through a complete drive cycle? Everything else is fine?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm assuming you have an OBDII monitor that hasn't ran and passed since fault codes were cleared or the battery was disconnected. If you have a test that is valid for the vehicle and it's simply not passing then it is because you aren't hitting all parameters necessary for the monitor to run or aren't keeping everything within parameters for long enough. The quickest thing to do would be to drive it with a scan tool to watch pretest data and keep everything within necessary parameters and usually you can get everything to pass in several minutes.

Are no fault codes setting?

What monitor will not pass?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The comprehensive components monitor which I assume if not ready will not allow the vehicle to correctly monitor the ecu for faults. Where I live isn't really suited to Hyundai drive cycle for s 07 Santa Fe. Do you have a drive cycle usable for this vehicle? I'm using a very basic SP tools SP61150 Obd2 scanner.

Nothing has to be done to allow the engine controller to set fault codes.

Are you trying to get a specific OBDII monitor to pass after clearing fault codes or disconnecting the battery?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
on the Santa Fe I want the comprehensive components (comp. Component Mon) to be in ready or ok state and on my 06 Holden Rodeo (rebadged Isuzu D Max) the egr monitor is showing not ready or incomplete status? Are you saying that regardless of what the monitors say in regards ***** ***** or incomplete the car will still show any fault codes if there are any? What is the purpose of the drive cycle and the I/M readiness sensors then? Is it a concern because we only just purchased the Santa Fe and it's still under the 3 month statutory warranty? I want to make sure it will show any faults if there are any ��

The monitors allow an emissions testing facility to know that the monitored systems are operating correctly and fault codes haven't been cleared directly before bringing a vehicle in for testing. Readiness monitors have nothing to do with the engine controller's ability to set fault codes and aren't anything you need to be concerned about unless you are failing an emissions test because a monitor is not ready. The only way one would be not ready is if you disconnected the battery or cleared fault codes.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well both vehicles have been driven under various driving conditions and various terrain (Flat, Hills, off road etc...) for at least a 1000kms min since battery was disconnected on either car. Does it mean something in the emissions system is faulty or could it just be the scanner not being 100% accurate since its a very basic one that doesn't actually support either of those vehicles 100%? Everything else on it works fine, it doesn't pick up a lot of sensors on the rodeo and still shows N/A on a few sensors for the Santa Fe but that's a much more sophisticated vehicle to the Rodeo.

If there was a failure then a fault code would set and the engine light would be on. If you have monitors that aren't passing you either aren't hitting all the correct parameters for the tests to run and staying there for long enough to pass, or you're looking at something generic and the vehicles don't have EGR. If the engine light isn't coming on and you aren't failing an emissions test there is nothing to be concerned about.