Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

2005 Liberty GT lost power will only rev to 2000, idles ok,

Customer Question

2005 Liberty GT lost power will only rev to 2000, idles ok
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: consistent
JA: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing, took the engine cover off looking for a loose hose. Placing the accelerator to the floor makes no difference, car starts and idles ok but wont rev
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: vehicle is 10 years old well maintained 55000 Klms only
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

There are 2 common causes for a sudden loss of power like you see here.First is a restricted fuel filter or weak fuel pump needing replaced.If you have not had the fuel system tested at all this needs done to see if either of these are the cause here.Second is a restricted catalytic converter in the exhaust.If this starts to plug up then this causes loss of acceleration or power like you see here as well.This can be tested with an exhaust back pressure tester.The exhaust back pressure shouldnt exceed 1.5 psi at any engine rpm.If it does then the catalytic converter needs replaced.

These will need checked into/tested further to locate which is the cause here and then repaired from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete