Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

2004 demio. When I bought it the check engine light was on.

Customer Question

JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on, here's the problem. Intermittent loss of torque.
JA: What is the model of your '04 Mazda?
Customer: Demio
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, just monitored to see if there was any pattern. At first I thought it was a air intake issue as it first happened up in the mountains, but there doesn't appear to be a pattern
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Low km, manual, import from Japan, that's about all I can think of
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your input to my questions so I can better help you. I read your question. I don't know how your emission qualifications go in your country but they cannot pass an emission test here with the engine light on so I hope you purchased this as is. The next thing I need you to pull the trouble code from the ECU so we can proceed with the diagnostics. Can you do that or have it done for you? When that light is on that means there is a trouble code stored in the ECU and will give us a place to start.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will have to wait to get a code reader on it in the next couple of days. It was not as is, it was AA approved. I have to look into the emissions rules in NZ, I'm used to Canada where you emissions are required.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry typo, "emissions tests are required"

Then who ever you bought it from is responsible to have that corrected! it's the law. Di they know about this light when you picked it up? we have about 30 days that all is working or they have to repair it. So take it back and smile!