Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,
12772297

Mate I'm currently trouble shooting 2002 nevara d40 power

Customer Question

Hi mate I'm currently trouble shooting 2002 nevara d40 power break down or its surging around 2000 rpm or surging for power now I've changed fuel filter had fuel tank out to check the pick up in side the fuel tank after I presherised the tank to push the fuel up through seemed to me like there was poor flow now still got the same problem, I'm starting to wonder if the injectior pumps now the problem any sug
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

Hello

If you have a scan tool that can do monitoring tehn run the engine and check if the fuel pressure is correct

then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you