FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a xc70 - 2006, cold starts re very rough, and often

Customer Question

hi, I have a xc70 - 2006, cold starts re very rough, and often needs a 2nd start, I have p0016 and p0017 in my diag. I replaced the inlet cam actuator solenoid to no avail
JA: Have you checked the key fob's battery?
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: not sure what my key battery has to do with rough running at cold start
JA: Are you fixing your XC70 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced a solenoid as explained in a previous message
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nah
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I also saw the timing advance go negative when idling(see attachment)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I replaced all 5 spark plugs
Expert:  FixItMan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you tell me how many miles are on the vehicle. Has the timing belt ever been replaced?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It has done about 168,000 km
Yeah the timing belt was replaced when I bought it, at around 160,000 (together with water pump)
The head gasket was also blown and replaced (and head re-engineered) around the same time
the problems with the rough start/idle when cold wasn't really apparent at that time

Thank you. If the timing belt is still fine then most of the time the issue is either from the lubrication system or the cam timing actuator. I am sure that you have done this, but make sure the engine has a new, good quality oil filter and the correct weight oil. If that is fine then it is more than likely a bad actuator. I usually monitor the cam and crank signals to see if they correlate as one or the other, usually a bad cam sensor, will read incorrectly and cause this.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
okay, so even if the lube system is not performing right it can still generate the p0016 and p0017?
I will get the oil and filter done first, I honestly haven't done that in a little while

Yes. If the computer commands a change in valve timing and the oiling system is not functioning right then this will occur.