Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

I have a V Z Berlina 2004/5. Yesterday, after I started the

Customer Question

I have a V Z Berlina 2004/5. Yesterday, after I started the engine I noticed a "rattly scraping type of noise coming from under the rear of the engine. I drove approximately 200 Kms. and stopped the engine. When I restarted the engine, there was a quite loud rattly noise like dropping or kicking a piece of sheet metal around the road. After starting, it went back to a not so noisy scraping noise. The last time I experienced anything like it was in a 1963 E.J. Holden Hydramatic and it turned out to be the thin metal plate between the engine and auto transmission. Do the V.Z. commodores have a similar fitting and could it be this sort of problem? What is it called?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

Are you quite sure the noise is from the back of the engine?

Are the heat shields still fitted to the front of each downpipe?

Or else you could have a cracked convertor driveplate, known as a flexplate.

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Gary, The trouble was actually the Starter Motor. The spring has broken, and the gear was was staying meshed in the ring gear, and apparently has been doing so for quite a while. Anyhow, a new starter fixed it. Thank you, ***** *****
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hi Max,

Not common on VZ, but glad you have it sorted.

I have seen this a few times on VT and earlier.

Kind regards

Gary