Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

Ust Bought a R25 V6 Inj.Why is it that the starter was

Customer Question

ust Bought a R25 V6 Inj.Why is it that the starter was working and now is Dead?
JA: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?
Customer: I get nothing
JA: What is the model/year of your Renault?
Customer: 1987 R25
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am doing it myself,I am a Machanic of 60yrs but it has me stumped
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the starter was winding good and then quit
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

It is possible the starter itself has failed on its own internally.I have seen starters fail like this here before in the past.Usually you would have two signals at the starter.One should have battery voltage at all times key on or off and the other battery voltage when the key is held in the crank position.If you have these signals try tapping the starter and see if it turns over then.If it does then it needs replaced.If it does not try turning over the engine by hand with a socket on the crank pulley.If the engine turns over by hand then the starter needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete