sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Its an XC60, and it seems to be stuck in !st gear. I am not

Customer Question

its an XC60, and it seems to be stuck in !st gear. I am not driving it at the moment as its ib Scotland and I am in Australia. Previously the ABS light was coming which we thought was a light fault, could the car have disabled itself due to that. Local garage say it is the gearbox and we will have to ship it to the Volvo dealers in Inverness.
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: Don't no but can find out which will take a few hours, can we assume it was the brake system light as well.
JA: What year is your XC60?
Customer: 2009
JA: Are you fixing your XC60 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if the transmission is going into limp in. When the trans controller sees an issue that will prevent proper operation it will lock you in a single gear.

There are many possible causes for limp in ranging from solenoids, speed sensors, wiring, the trans controller itself or an internal failure in the trans.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting and then testing can be done from there. Do you know what fault codes are setting?