Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

97 jeep grand cherokee 4.0 once warm will just stop and not

Customer Question
97 jeep grand cherokee 4.0...
97 jeep grand cherokee 4.0 once warm will just stop and not start for a few hours
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Australia Car
10/12/2016
AU Auto Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David. is the check engine light on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No have replaced cas cpu coil once warm emgime stops amd womt start could a faulty emgine coolant sensor cause this

ok. you replaced crank sensor, coil and waht?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

ok. let me look something up.

a bad coolant temp sensor wont cause sudden shut off. now, does it shut off while driving? or when you drive somewhere, say to the store and when you come back out it wont start?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks do you think the engine coolamt sensor could cause this

read my above message

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Drives lovely 15 mins then wont start yes cuts out while driving

the only possible solution i can think of is that the fuel pump ballast resistor is overheating. It's located on the inside drivers side fender next to the air box. It's a ceramic block bolted to the inside of the fender which reduces the voltage that goes from your battery to your fuel pump.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok ill try that

ok. keep me posted.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
David are you sure on the location my car is right hand drive and I cant find it and the auto store cant find it in there catalogue
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nup I dont think there is one under the hood
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When jeep stops and I try to start it I can hear the petrol pump and the rail has pressure
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All fixed at this stage david I traced it back to pin 7 on cpu bent the brass wire down a bit and f**ken presto all running fine

excellent find. as far as the ballast resistor not all G.C.'s had them for that year. my thoughts were it was overheating shutting the pump down. so the cpu was probably the problem all along and when you replaced it, the pin bent.... very good. do you know which pin was bent? id like to know what it goes to... please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating if you were satisfied with my assistance. thanks and have a great day!

David Craig
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic