Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

My 1992 300se if not driven for say 3 to 4 days will start

Customer Question
ok but if drive is...
my 1992 300se if not driven for say 3 to 4 days will start ok but if drive is engaged will stall and be impossible to start again unless left to sit for at least 10 to 15 minutes
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you fixing your 300SE yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Australia Car
Answered in 4 days by:
10/10/2016
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

this sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could notbe running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the inlet to the main engine fuel distributor (should be 5 to 5.8bar) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

If this is OK then remove the rubber intake boot from the fuel distributor and then unscrew on the top of the unit find the central nut , pipe feed into the fuel distributor and push down on the aluminum plate under the rubber boot you should see the main fuel metering pin / needle rise up smoothly as you push down the plate, if its sticky or dirty then its possible this is getting stuck.

If this is OK then remove all the injectors but leave them connected to their fuel lines and put all into a clear container then turn the ignition on and (having replaced the central feed pipe nut) lift up the aluminum plate all the injectors should spray at once and look for ones that aren't spraying as much as the others - and replace or ultrasonically clean as required.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer