Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

What is involved in replacing a manual gearbox shift cable

Customer Question

Hi, What is involved in replacing a manual gearbox shift cable on a 2010 cx 7 diesel. Thanks
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Just a broken cable 2010
JA: Are you fixing your CX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Is it possible to do it mysel?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's all
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Usually the cable is clipped onto the shift linkage and gear box linkage.The gearbox is usually places in neutral on most models and the clips/retainers removed from the cable and the cable removed.Then the new one installed and any adjustments made to allow it to properly shift through the gears.

If this was already attempted let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Pete, I was really after a bit more specific information on this model. Do i need to remove the battery for this job and if so is there a way to keep power to the system as i don't have the radio security code? One of the cables was easy to remove from the shifter but the other has a different fitting and is harder to just pull off and i didn't want to risk breaking it and finally there is a bracket that braces both cables and is attached to the engine block - I assume that i need to remove this bracket from the cables to facilitate the cables being pulled through into the car? If so how is this removed?
Thanks
Ian
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Unfortunately I do not have the specifics on this model here on this myself but someone else here may have this info.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete