Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

I have a 2005 kia rio which i bought 3wks ago, 2nd day i had

Customer Question
it i noticed intermitent problems...
i have a 2005 kia rio which i bought 3wks ago, 2nd day i had it i noticed intermitent problems starting the car. My mechanic couldnt get it to play up but chnanged the fuel pump and hoses anyway. Problem persisted so took it to Kia service centre they replaceed the crank angle sensor however i still had difficulty starting the car it would sometimes not turn over and take up to 10 or more attempts to engage the engine or start but idle terribly , not be responsive to reving or be able to drive at all and then just die out as if it had dirty fuel or no fuel at all. I rang previous owner who denied knowing any problem however recently replaced the starter motor. I spoke to the Kia people again and they said that the fuel pressure was dropping to 0 when car turned off and although couldnt gaurantee the problem would be fixed now suggest a new fuel assembly. I have spent $1400 on this car in 3 wks and feel no closer to knowing what the problem actually is. Do u have any ideas
JA: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?
Customer: im not certain of anything. what does the fuel rail do
JA: Are you fixing your Rio yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i now have the car bck at my usual mechanic after 2 visits to the kia specialists who were unable to identify the cause
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: my mechanic thinks it could b the purge valve or feed cables?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Australia Car
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the car has a new starter motor, new fuel pump and fuel filter, a new crank angle sensor and new spark plugs and leads. Apparently the fuel pressure is intermitently dropping to zero when the engine is off, the kia specialists say that fuel is leaking back into tank? and as there is little to no fuel to restart the car it is the cause of the rough idle that just dies out and also fails to respond to reving the engine ( it does not rev at all or respond in any way to the use of accelarator) and just dies out. then just as suddenly the car will start just fine and continue to restart for up to 2/3 days at a time before failing to start again or starting but with rough idle that dies out. the kia specialists now suggest i replace the entire fuel assembly but as they have worked on the car twice already without fixing the problem i am reluctant to spending another $800 on a fuel assembly without some assurance this is likely the be the fault. My own mechanic is wondering if the purge valve solnoid for the canister or feed cables could be the problem, can u advise?
9/28/2016
AU Auto Mechanic: Brad Barker,
 replied 1 year ago
Brad Barker

Hi my name is ***** ***** would like to offer my advise. If the fuel pressure is indeed dropping with the key off, then I would suspect the fuel pump as well. These cars have a returnless fuel system which means the fuel leaves the tank and goes to the fuel rail and does not have a return line to bring unused fuel back to the tank. Since it has this setup the fuel pressure regulator is on top of the fuel pump assembly. If I saw the car losing pressure like you are describing I would recommend the fuel pump assembly as well. If your mechanic suspect the purge solenoid have him take it off and use jumper wires to test becnh test it on a battery to make sure it is opening and closing fully. The evap lines can easily be tested with a smoke machine for leaks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it was only 2 wks ago that a new fuel pump was put in. what differance is there in the fuel assembly that the fuel pump would not have fixed. also this problem does not occur every time i start the engine infact it sometimes only occurs a couple of times every few days. an entire assembly will cost a further $800 which i am willing to spend if it is not likely to be relating to something else
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
could it be the fuel regulator alone?
AU Auto Mechanic: Brad Barker,
 replied 1 year ago

it could be if they only replaced the pump and not the entire module

Curtis
Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic