sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

D22 done 416,000km. Engine warning light comes on when cold

Customer Question

D22 done 416,000km. Engine warning light comes on when cold started but if I turn engine off then start again it's fine
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Engine warning light
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2005 D22 str
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I'm not fixing it. All I do is start it and run it for a bit then turn off and restart and the light does not come on after restart. The auto elect says the code is crankshaft. Should I be worried ?
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Nissan Mechanic will figure it out.
Customer: Ok thanks
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Yes, this is something you should be concerned with and repair. I'm assuming the code was for the crankshaft position sensor. A crank sensor code will set because of an erratic signal or a loss of signal. A crank sensor code can be caused by the sensor itself, wiring and connections, or rarely a tone wheel issue. A failed crank sensor could cause the engine to die or not start and is definitely something you'll want to have repaired.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thanks. To clarify when you say die do you mean catastrophic damage to the engine or that it just fails to start or stops?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The reason I ask is that my mechanic has told me not to bother getting it fixed unless the engine doesn't start anymore but it is getting harder to start ( cranks slow on cold start ) I'm more concerned I'm doing damage to the engine.

The engine wouldn't be damaged, it would just stop running. It's obviously up to you, but I wouldn't recommend waiting until you're in an emergency situation to repair it. It's either going to stop starting or it's going to die while you're driving leaving you stranded.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yep sure thanks! Looks like I should find another mechanic to test it ! Thanks for your help ��

You're welcome and good luck with it!