Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,
12772297

2016 Falcon V8 Supercharged. awesome but rides like a go

Customer Question

2016 Falcon V8 Supercharged. awesome but rides like a go kart with hard suspension. wots the best- normal tyres rather than low profile or change shocks, springs or both
Thanks
steve
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Matt replied 12 months ago.

Hello Steve

The first thing to do is check that the tyre pressures are correct to those stated in the manual / on the door jamb sticker

If looks Ok then I'd consider fitting a taller profile tyre with a smaller diameter wheel, this will add some compliance to the ride and generally calm the quick responses. An alternative is to keep the current wheel and replace the tyres with some of a softer sidewall so removing some of the compliance in the system - Toyo's for example

This is especially true if you have run-flat tyres currently fitted

If you look on the tyre at the end of the numbers there's a letter the number just before this letter denotes the load capacity and therefore sidewall stiffness.

ie 225/55 R16 91V its the 91 you're interested in try a tyre with a lower figure and you'll get a softer tyre, however bear in mind this will also soften the steering response

Its also worth checking that all the main suspension pivot points have been tightened with the car on its wheels not in the air as this can add a lot of friction to the suspension and lastly check that the brakes aren't binding at all as this too can make the ride very jerky and bouncy

if you want to go a step further than this I'd suggest to fit a slightly softer spring

a good compromise is a spring with a rising rate

so the 1st 1" of travel is softer than normal but then gets stiffer further up the suspension travel

this results in a softer ride over small imperfections in the road but the car still doesn't wallow around in fast corners as it lean over

someone like

http://kingsprings.com.au/product/progressive-rate

Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you