sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

I have following issue with volvo xc 90 D5 2007/8 model.

Customer Question

Hi there ,
I have following issue with volvo xc 90 D5 2007/8 model .
Engine service required message re occures after reset after few days from each reset.
Car runs well , no power loss , engine runs smoothly but rear bumper gets dirty (black marks) of exhaust fumes.
Initially workshop advised to replace lambda sensor that has been done. The error message re occured after few days .
I wnt to the workshop again , they chacked all cables connecting exhaust sensors and concluded that all is fine and recommended to replace co2 lambda sensor agin .
I do not think the sensor itself is a problem as the car behaviour was identical prior and after the sensor replacement .
I went to the other workshop specialising in volvo cars . They scanned errors and following messages were recorded: Heated Oxygen Sensor - Signal Missing , Oil Level Sensor -Signal To High
Exhaust Temperature Sensor
Oil is and has been filled only to 3/4 to max and been monitored all the time .
CO2 sensor is new
What might be a problem cousing all these error coming at the same time?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

You have a few different issues going on. The oil level sensor circuit high code is either being caused by the sensor itself or a wiring/connection issue.

The oxygen sensor code is either going to be the sensor or wiring, as is the temperature sensor. Sensor failures are most often the cause of circuit type codes but wiring damage is definitely possible.

Has the oxygen or temperature sensor wiring been tested?

Were the codes cleared after the oxygen sensor was replaced?

Do you have the actual P code numbers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As indicated before :
- cabling been tested by Bosh workshop
- oil drained
- codes have been celered number of times including 2 times after the oxygen sensor replacementerror never reocured instantly , it took few days and few hundred km to re occure . As mentioned before i noticed 3 times the messege pop up during prolonged idling.
REplacemnt of CO2 sensor had no any influence on error's occurance . I do not have codes handy but can get them if essential.

We do need to know what P codes are currently setting to proceed. I need to make sure the correct sensors were replaced, if it's setting sensor circuit codes and the correct parts have been replaced then that leaves only a wiring or engine controller issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok - I will pop in tommorow to the workshop to scan foults and reset
Ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
folowing codes poped up:
2830: front H02S Bank 1 , signal missing
5660:Undefined code
21300: ThermostatThe scanner have had serious troubles to comunicate with ECU generating "communication error message" few times before the reading finally ocured.
When I asked to reset codes and mechanic attemted doing it re establishing connection was not possible . What is interesting , even tough ëngine service required message was still on when I left garage in few moment desapeared . I have driven 5 km to work - still no message . Help! There is no any problem with cooling sysyem or thermostat ...
Once before, probably 3 months back , on the vida scan message "gerbox sensor foulty " poped up. It all does not make any sense to me .

Do you know the physical location of the oxygen sensor that was replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
according to my knowledge the XC 90 D5 emision sustem has following sensors installed
1. differental preser sensor
2. lambda sond
3.Temperature sensor ( in catalitic converter)
4. Temperature sensor ( in particle filter )The part repalced only (2) : SONDA LAMBDA VOLVO 30650902 30751034(###) ###-####((###) ###-####

You should have an upstream and a downstream sensor, before and after the converter. The code is for the upstream sensor. If the correct sensor was replaced then you either have a wiring issue or an internal failure in the engine controller.

Likewise with the oil level sensor the problem could be the sensor, it's wiring or an internal issue in the engine controller. The wiring needs to be tested and the sensor replaced if it tests good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the same part used for updtream and downstream ? SONDA LAMBDA VOLVO 30650902 30751034(###) ###-####((###) ###-####what abbout
5660:Undefined code
21300: Thermostat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
note teht engine oil level to high - did not show up this time , transmision sensor failure also did not show up

Unfortunately I don't have a full parts catalog for this vehicle to check part numbers, the sensors are usually the same for up and downstream.

5660 is for the oil level sensor, I don't find any reference for 21300 but if the description is simply 'thermostat' it's because coolant temperature is remaining too low for too long during warmup because of a bad thermostat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the upstream sensor located in particle filter or next to turbo charger on exhaust manifold?

It will be before the catalytic converter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
iT apears that in xc 90 D5 upstream and downstream sensors differsdownstream part number is ***** or 30729648 upstream 30650902 30751034(###) ###-####.the upstream sensor was prevciously replaced . What would you reccomend :
1. looking at fault of ECU ?
2. replalcing upstream sensor
3. replacing downstream sensor
4. replacing oil level sensor ?

The oxygen sensor wiring needs to be tested at the time the code is active. The problem has to be the sensor, wiring or ECM.

The oil level sensor wiring needs to be tested at the time the code is active. The problem has to be the sensor, wiring or the ECM. If the wiring tests ok then the sensor should be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - is there any method of testing ECM ? From your experience can outdated software coause such a symptoms ?

The ECM itself isn't tested, all possible causes for a problem ruled out and if a code is still setting then the ECM can be condemned.

Software can cause issues but a software problem shouldn't start causing a problem on a ten year old vehicle.