sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My Tj magna has just broken down light flashed neutral and

Customer Question

My Tj magna has just broken down light flashed neutral and now i cant get any gears
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: Mitsubishi Magna Tj 2001
JA: Got it. What model and year?
Customer: Magna Tj 2001 automatic
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Car just stopped and transmission cant get any gears. A light flashed on the gear selection in neutral and then it died
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Hahaha im not a mechanic
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your Mitsubishi?
Customer: It was running fine but the last day the gear selector has been a bit stiff
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if you may have a broken shift cable. If the shift cable is broken or has become disconnected at either the shifter or transmission then you'll be unable to shift. If the shifter was stiff leading up to this that is a good indication that the cable is likely broken.

Do you feel no resistance when moving the shifter now?