Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

My mercedes C250D 1996 model. EDC light comes on and engine

Customer Question

my mercedes C250D 1996 model. EDC light comes on and engine stops..! i do not know when this will happen.! but it happens every few days, sometimes twice a day. i have replaced injector return lines, and the filter.. its driving me crazy, i can only drive in the left hand lane as i may need to pull over if the engine stops.. i use the remote to lock and unlock car then it starts again. today it would not start after an hours driving. so i used the remote to lock and unlock car then it started and i drove another hour and half. then it stopped again..please help its a potential disaster..
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, that usually means you have a issue with the injector pump or the throttle body, did you have the codes checked in the system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi last time i had code read it said glow plug and temp sender.. neither should stop an inline injector pump from delivering fuel.its had wiring replaced, and my owners manual tells me that the EDC indicator light represents a malfunction present in the injection system. i will check the codes in the morning again..
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

OK yes there should be a code for something related to the injection that would cause this so let me know what you find, also it depends on what kind of scanner you are using. so you may want to drive the car until the issue happens and then without shutting the car off check the codes once again. Lou P.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i checked with the code reader. screen says " no code " i will keep looking myself.. do i get charged for an answer that my owners manual tells me..?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
It's possible the code readers you are using are not capable of reading all of the modules involved with the engine diagnostics. You need to find a Mercedes scan tool. And as far as charges if you feel I have not been helpful then it's up to you if you want to pay or not. Although I do not get paid until rated positively , and the time I spend trying to help you takes away from other customers as well. I really am trying to help but I cannot give you a failure if there is no code to at least point us in the right direction.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

any luck? was my info helpful at least?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi nothing i didnt know already..! At this stage i belive it may be a partially blocked inlet strainer in the fuel tank. sludge, or a tissue in the tank.! (its happened before) or an intermittent fault in the fuel inlet solonoid.. will clean the strainer first, once i use all the fuel in the tank.. i have owned 4 other diesel mercedes, and owned 14 cars before i was 18, been maintaining and repairing & rebuilding cars and motorcycles for over 40 years.. 59 this year.. just a bush mechainc..
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

of course you knew. my apologies. i will opt out.