Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

Explorer aus 204model.Have had the timing chain adjusters

Customer Question
replaced recently , but the...
Explorer aus 204model.Have had the timing chain adjusters replaced recently , but the noise is still there. Is there anything else can be done ? I am forced to keep the vehicle as Ford is not replacing this awd 6cl in Australia. Thanks
David Strow
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Australia Car
3/18/2016
AU Auto Mechanic: AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. The problem that your likely experiencing is timing chain guides that are wearing down and breaking up causing timing chain slap. Unfortunately this issue is not that uncommon on this engine. The engine does have to get removed to resolve the issue. Half of the chain is located in the rear of the engine and only accessible by removal of the engine. This job will also require the use of a fairly expensive specialty tool. Failure to address this concern usually results in damage to the cylinder head by the timing chain and metal shavings from the cylinder head being spread throughout the engine

What was the determination?

AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician