Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a Holden captiva coming up to 100,000 kms and last

Have a Holden captiva...

Have a Holden captiva coming up to 100,000 kms and last weekend while highway there was no power on the hills.

Mechanic's Assistant: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

I also noted that I didn't hear the turbo spin up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Well, I am just investigating that.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your car?

I need it (joke).

3/17/2016
AU Auto Mechanic: Gary, Australia Car Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic

Hi there,

Welcome to JustAnswer.

I am a Holden Tech Gold certified, so I'll see if I can help you here.

There are many causes for low power in Captiva Diesel.

Did it put the engine light on at any time or during that low power condition?

Is there any abnormal noise from the engine?

Does the transmission shift normally?

Gary

Hi Gary,Yes we 1st noticed the low power when the "check engine" light came on whilst highway driving and there was no power on the hills.
I haven't noticed any abnormal noises other than the lack of turbo spinning up.
Yes the transmission seems to shifting ok.James

Hi James,

Ok, we need to get the ECM scanned for DTCs (codes).

Is it still running ok at the moment, and can you get the vehicle to your local repairer for ECM light diagnosis?

Just give me the code if you can.

Sounds like a fuel supply issue to me, the engine runs low power, doesn't produce the exhaust volume to spool the turbo, which is then no positive inlet manifold pressure.

I have replaced many intank pumps in Captiva.

Gary

Gary,Thanks. I'm hearing that it's either fuel or airflow.
I have also been told that it could be the DPF. Your thoughts.James

Hi James,

Let's see what the code is.

I have had a few cars, Captiva, Cruze and Astra with DPF related issues, the DPF may block up due to another fault.

Only one car I've had needed a DPF replacement.

One car I had was blocking the DPF because of a poorly fitted turbo duct at the throttle body (new car 200km).

In your case, you have the engine light only.

How often do you see the DPF light come on, indicating ECM generated DPF regeneration?

Gary

Gary,Thanks for allaying my fears about the DPF.
The light only came on, along with the absence of power, during the trip from Melbourne to Bendigo, about 200kms on the 12/3 and it hasn't appeared again since.Thanks again

Hi James,

The ECM will have a history DTC (code) set, will read as "not present".

Still would be wise to get a scan done, maybe from your local Holden dealer?

Shouldn't be much, I used to do a lot for free, as good PR.

Gary

Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic

Hi James,

I hope my advice has helped you.

Kind regards

Gary