Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Proton Persona 04/2008 which broke a timing belt.

Customer Question
No damage appears to have...
I have a Proton Persona 04/2008 which broke a timing belt. No damage appears to have been caused but I am confused by the timing gear markings, especially on the crankshaft gear, can you please enlighten me on the correct assembly of the timing belt.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2016
AU Auto Mechanic: Gary, Australia Car Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic

Hi Neal,

Can you post a pic of your timing marks, crank and cams?

What compression pressures did you get, all four please?

Like most twin cams, I think you may have some bent valves, or it could be you are using the wrong timing marks for the cams.

I can't find pics, but I'll see what is wrong in your pics.

Gary

Ok, it will take me some time to get the photos and info you need. Will get back to you within 24 hrs.
Neal.

Ok Neal,

I'll await your reply.

Gary

I'm having great difficulty obtaining the information required as the vehicle is out bush and a great distance away. All I need is a diagram of the correct timing settings. There are many timing marks and options on the crankshaft gear and I don't see how a photo is going to provide a solution. You either know or you don't !

Hi Neal,

Unfortunately for us both, I can't find the diagram either.

I do find it unusual when you say there are many marks.

Your new timing kit came without a diagram I take it?

Is your engine a S4PH?

Gary

it is a S4PH engine and no diagram comes with a new belt or timing belt kit here in Australia which is a pity. I managed to find a mechanic who subscribes to Boyces Automotive Data and he was able to print out a diagram for me for $50 so I'm ok now. Thanks for you help even if it wasn't successful, just take out any fee I owe you. Product support for Proton vehicles is very poor here especially where I am in the Northern Territory - regards Neal.

Hi Neal,

Yes I understand your pain about little support from Proton.

I used to work for a Holden dealer a few years back that was also Proton.

I went to Proton school, I liked working on them, pretty simple, and some of their later technology looked promising for the future.

Unfortunately for them, they are still a small manufacturer.

I hope it works out for you.

Kind regards

Gary

Gary, I'm disappointed I have been charged $46 for a no show, surely that's not fair. Maybe that's not your fault but I understood a $5 fee to show my sincerity but that's it if my question is not answered - Neal.

Hi Neal,

Unfortunately, I have no control over that.

I'll refer you to Customer Service, and hopefully they will offer a refund of sorts.

Hope you have sorted your engine.

Gary