Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

It ticks and had a P011 code so checked - good. Replaced OCV

Customer Question

it ticks and had a P011 code so checked for leaks - good. Replaced OCV - Good. At this stage still had error and tick. ad mechanic do CVVT assembly. Error light disaapears but still has ticking.
JA: Cars do make very odd noises -- They help the mechanics figure out what's wrong. They are terrific with my old Grand Cherokee. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: No ticking at first start up while cold. As sson as engine is warm ticking starts
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if i can. If i cant then ill take to mech but they seem to have no answers.
JA: Is there anything else the Hyundai Mechanic should be aware of about your Hyundai?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Hyundai Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What can cause this ticking noise here in allot of cases is cam shaft lifters or tappets failing.They may still operate properly when cold and with lifters can hold oil when cold but as the engine warms up the metals expand and cause the ticking.This will have to be checked into further to see if your vehicle needs new lifters or tappets to correct this here as this is the most common cause.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Also forgot to mention that no ticking while load is on the engine. But once decelerating or no load, ticking starts.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.

This can still be caused by faulty lifters/tappets.I have seen these act up before in the past needing replaced for issues like this here.The engine will have to be inspected further to be sure and then from there if found that these are the cause they will need replaced for this fault here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete