Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford Falcon:

Customer Question
hi...
hi
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Car
I have a 2006 ford bf xr6. on cold start, the abs light comes on then off then the gearbox kicks when put in reverse. I placed a full computer system (pcm, abs)--will that be the cause of the problem or something else such as the power steering pump switch since when I ran a diagnostic, it showed a PSP switch fault. Also, I cleared the fault on data for vehicle speed in the instrument cluster but when the car got cold, it came back again as a fault. What is the cause of this too?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/29/2016
AU Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If you had a fault for vehicle speed this can be an issue with the vehicle speed sensor as I have seen fail before in the past needing replaced to correct this issue here.If you have a PSP switch fault usually the switch needs replaced and can sometimes affect the starting or running.The biggest issue is usually the vehicle speed sensor itself needing replaced if you showed a fault for it at one point.I have had to replace several of these sensors before for this type of fault here.I would have this tested/checked further to verify the sensor is the cause and that there is no mechanical faults in the transmission/gear box itself needing repaired or replaced.

Unfortunately I am unable to offer the phone call request at this time here myself.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Thanks Pete. Where is the vehicle speed sensor located for Ford BF XR6? As I mentioned earlier, I changed the whole computer system, it asked for the radio code --would that cause the problem on the ABS light on at cold start?

Your welcome.

Unfortunately I don't have a location on this sensor for your model here.I know that on*****models it in usually on the top or side of the transmission near the rear of the transmission and on*****it is usually on the transfer case.

The radio code issues here wouldn't cause this fault you have now.

In some cases a parts store can usually tell you the exact location of this sensor on your model here if you ask them when you purchase the part.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Are the speed sensors on the wheels?
Does that mean the speed sensor is faulty and not the ABS sensors? I changed the front hubs with aftermarket type - would that cause the speed sensor fault code showing in the scanner?

Yes,the after market could be sending a incorrect signal which can cause issues here.I would double check with the facility they were purchased from to see if they are the correct sensors for your model here.Some models only use the wheel speed sensors for the vehicle speed sensor signal so it is possible the parts that were installed are either faulty or incompatible for your vehicle here.

Thanks Pete

The scanner shows that there is a fault in the PCM. It shows code P0552 about Power Steering Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Low input. I changed the power steering switch and the hose. What is the cause of this? Does this related to the ABS light to come on at cold start resulting to gearbox to kick?

Did the code for this come back after you replaced the switch and hose?

It did come back. Then the ABS light in cold start still happened :(

O.k.,unfortunately my info is limited on this model here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Thanks Pete. I cleaned the vehicle speed sensor and will try tomorrow if the issue will persist. Btw, if one changes the computer system (PCM, ABS module, BEM, etc), does it need to be exactly with the same serial number as the original one? I was thinking that maybe the new computer system (which all came from the same car that I got from the wreckers) is the main cause of this.

If the computers were not coded or programmed to your vehicle this can cause an issue.The computers you have listed here usually need coded or programmed to your model to work properly in your vehicle and this usually needs done by a dealer.In some cases some computers are only compatible with the vehicle they were originally in and cannot be coded or programmed to another vehicle so I would check into this here if you can to see if this is an issue if the issue continues.

Thanks Pete