Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Nissan patrol 3.1 turbo diesel 2002 was goig great…

Customer Question
I have a Nissan patrol...
I have a Nissan patrol 3.1 turbo diesel 2002 was goig great then I went for a 2 month break and now it just want start.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Car
what will solve this problem please
tried new battery and towing but still doesn't seem to ignite or get diesel
half pie starts when you spray ethanol into air cleaner but engine shakes
anyone there can help me ?
you still havnt answered me ?
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/24/2016
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensor

If the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything

Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue

Lastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.

and it may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.
Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.

If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you