Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

Matt. Issue is with 1998 toyota ace 3L diesel (automatic)

Customer Question

Hi Matt. Issue is with 1998 toyota hi-ace 3L diesel (automatic) super-custom van
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure. When trying to start the vehicle, the starter motor turns over fine, but the engine immediately cuts out. When the key is in the pre-ignition postion, there is a ticking noise coming from somewhere on the motor. Manually pumping the fuel pump makes no difference and symptoms persist. Vehicle was towed to Toyota service, where technician attempted to start and had same problem. HOWEVER, after technician manually pushed vechicle into service bay, ticking noise has stopped and now they claim they cant find the fault.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dont need to sign up for ongoing - have paid $29 - just want answer to this issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just on 24 hours and no answer yet.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If the ticking noise has stopped and the vehicle is starting now this sounds like an electrical component at fault.This may be an issue with the ignition switch itself or a relay at fault needing replaced.Unfortunately the only way it can be tested to be sure of the component at fault is for the vehicle to act up again so further testing can be done.You may have to allow the repair center to hold onto the vehicle for a few days or more to operate it off and on to then duplicate the fault so it can be diagnosed and repaired from there.

I would have them tap on the ignition switch and relays to see if they can get the fault to occur again as this sometimes helps isolate the fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,The ticking noise on pre-ignition which stopped briefly after the tech moved the vehicle, then started again and apparently continues. The engine has not been successfully started since the van was towed to where it needed to be repaired.The van has a fuel pump that can be manually primed, but this made no difference. Don't think it is an air-lock or fuel line blockage either as the diesel filter was recently replaced and the vehicle fueled from a brand-new service station (so no water residue or diesel bug in station tanks)My next thought was a solenoid connected to the fuel-injection system might be the problem; since a solenoid is essentially a mechanical switch, they can become sticky under some circumstances. The ticking sound seemed to me to be symptomatic of a solenoid failing to make a magnetic connection and if connected to the fuel injection system, might explain why the starter motor turned over, but failed to fire for more than about half a second, before cutting out.I have since done further research of my own and now think the problem may be caused by one or more faulty capacitor(s) on the fuel-injection ECU board. Apparently, they can overheat and leak, similar to batteries that are left in a torch for a long period of time. Yesterday I passed this information on to the tech, who removed and examined the ECU more closely. In doing so, he believes that I may have found the problem as the ECU board had a degree of corrosion close to one of the capacitors. The ECU board is being sent to a specialist for diagnostic checks and repairs if necessary. We will know next week if this fixed the problem, but the tech seems confident it will...
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If it has leaked or shows signs of leakage most likely this is the cause here for sure.I have seen the board and capacitors fail before causing this type of fault here on some models.This sounds like the fault may have been located and just need to wait until it gets back to see if it is resolved for sure.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.Thanks Pete