Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

How do I remove the elcetric fuel pump from the fuel tank?

Customer Question
Is there a catch or...
how do I remove the elcetric fuel pump from the fuel tank? Is there a catch or release so as to turn the pump mount on the tank. I cannot turn the mount past a cam or whatever is 'holding' the slots.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Australia Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/14/2016
AU Auto Mechanic: Gary, Australia Car Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic

Hi Alan,

There is a special tool to turn the locking ring.

All cars these days have some form of top mounted assembly that you need a special tool to release it from the tank.

The fuel lines also require a fuel line release tool.

There would be a lock release tab on the electrical connector.

If you break a fuel line it will become a big job to repair, I've replaced many fuel lines, not a fun task.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Greetings Gary, Thank you for your answer. I would respond by saying that the answer does not really assist as all you are suggesting - by inference - is that the car has to be repaired by a Daewoo workshop. I do not have a 'special' tools for both the locking ring nor the fuel lines. I have disconnected the battery in order to remove the fuel pump. The car is 19 years old and the cost of a mechanic would be more than the car is worth. The car operation in all correct manner other than actually starting. Battery good. Electrics good. Starter motor good. Plugs good. I have had a garage electrical mechanic check the vehicle and found nothing wrong. So, - no fuel. Thus I am 'guessing' that the fuel pump has to be replaced as I have exhausted other options.
Question: what am I able to do other than tow the car to a workshop?
Cheers,
Alan

Hi Alan,

Your local Holden dealer could for you.

I've been around Daewoo for many years, including when GM took over to offer warranty to existing new car owners.

I'm sure other dealers would have the many tools like we have.

Will the car cough to life if you spray some carb cleaner in the throttle body?

I had one years ago that would not start cold. Ambient temp was 20, coolant should have read 20, but read as 70. Replaced coolant sensor, and vroom vroom.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Greetings Gary,Thank you for the adcvise to take the car to a dealer. Really is not a viable option - for the reasons previously stated. i.e. 1. vehicle would have to be towed to a dealer / garage 2. cost of a garage repair would be exhorbitant. I see on youtube that there are videos that show a fuel pump being removed but they do not show the release. My question remains - other than taking the car to a dealer garage shop, is there a way to release the fuel pump and hoses. Your comment about temperature does not apply. Ambient temp is approx 28 - 38. Coolant temp reads 'low'. So not an issue.
I am able to 'crank' / turn over the engine without any problem, however, the car will not start. - no fuel !
Are there any other options that I can try - at home?

Hi Alan,

There are a few different fuel hose connectors, and all have there own way of removal.

They are all quick connects, easy to build cars th,at way.

Do you have anybody mechanically minded nearby?

Generally, the pump assembly lock rings are near impossible to remove without some damage.

It may be worth your while to find a Lanos at a wrecking yard and "experiment" with that, then you'll know what you need to do.

Would you be up for that?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have help coming in next few days who may be able to assist re: unlocking the locking cam.
Gumtree have some cars on line. May explore that option.
There are no wreckers near for me to enter trial and error.
Will examine the fuel connections more carefully to 'see' how they are locked.Alan

Hi Alan,

There are a few lock rings that can be knocked around unlocked with a hammer and drift, have done a few like that. The tool does make it a lot easier.

Some quick connects can be released with a pair of pics etc.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic