Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2013 Kia Cerato transmission has suddenly locked when in…

Customer Question
My 2013 Kia Cerato transmission...
My 2013 Kia Cerato transmission has suddenly locked when in park and I can only move it by pushing the override switch at the same time as moving the gear lever. Also my dash display is not working - the needles do not move so I don't know my speed or fuel level.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Car
2/10/2016
AU Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

From what you have described here this sounds like a major power loos to the shifter assembly and instrument cluster or a fault with the electronic ignition switch itself.I have seen several electronic ignition switch failures in the past before cause issues like this here needing replaced.The switch fails to send the correct signals out of all of its terminals and can cause this fault.

The first thing that needs done here is to have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set and then from there any codes set need diagnosed and repaired.This needs done with a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle.

The switch itself will also need checked/tested using a scan tool that can observe the switch signals and a multi meter to see if it needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

I had my car serviced and they checked all the electronics and advised they are working fine. All fuses were also checked and are ok.

Did both of these issues occur at the same time here with the shifter and the dash gauges?

both happened at exactly the same time. My car was fine, I parked and then an hour later nothing worked. My brake lights in the back also all went at the same time.

I apologize for the delay.

Do you know if when this was checked if the ignition switch was tested at all?

the ignition switch was checked. The car starts and can be driven using the override switch to get into gear. I had the brake light bulbs replaced and they went again the next day so must somehow be connected to the transmission issue - and the dash not displaying.

I apologize for the delay.

Was anything after market wired into your vehicle before this fault occurred here at all?

No nothing at all.

Unfortunately my info is limited on this model here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

AU Auto Mechanic: gomi_otaku, Technician replied 2 years ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician

If your brake lights are not coming on, then you need to replace the brake switch- which also is what unlocks the shifter when you step on the brake.