Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

I have a 2006 Kia grand carnival that is suddenly not

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Kia grand carnival that is suddenly not starting without a jump-start, and is constantly displaying engine problem warning light. But all other electrics like headlights, switches, power windows are working.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Kia. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have described the problem above
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If I can ...
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your Kia?
Customer: I'm not sure what else to describe
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What will cause all of the issues here including the check engine light in some cases is a fault with low voltage.Even though all other electronics are operating properly if there is not enough amperage from the battery this will occur here.The voltage will allow the other electronics to operate but low amperage will cause the no start issue and in some cases the engine computer can set a fault code for low voltage turning on the check engine light.

What needs to be done from here is to have the battery tested as well as the alternator/generator to see if one of these is at fault here.I suspect the battery will need replaced.If these are o.k. then the battery cables need checked/tested to see if any need cleaned and tightened or replaced.

Once this is done a scan tool or computer compatible with your vehicle will need to be connected to your vehicle to check the fault codes to see what engine codes are set.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed and repaired to correct any engine faults then the codes cleared out to turn off the check engine light.If the engine light goes off after the voltage issue is corrected then you will not need to have the codes checked as it was related to low voltage.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete