Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

My name is ***** *****.
, I own a 2009 Audi S3 Manual

Customer Question

Hi My name is ***** *****.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I own a 2009 Audi S3 Manual in Australia. Current issue is that i have drive line slack somewhere. When i go into gear or accelerate the car has terrible drive ability. It feels like the engine speed and the road speed have to always match when i press the pedal. Also when i release the pedal i get the same feel. There is a little thud also. I have checked the bushes and they seem fine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Audi Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can view the revs on this page.https://youtu.be/oLaVEJa_cpo
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you have not checked the transmission mounts this should be done to see if any are found broken or collapsed causing this here.I would also inspect the drive lines and axles for any damage needing repaired or replaced for this fault here.If these have already been checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,
The engine and gearbox mounts where the first things I checked twice and had someone else view them also. I thought it was the passenger side drive-shaft so I removed that and check the cv joint. But it was in good condition and all four shafts are tight and no play axially or rotative. The centre differential and tail shaft was checked and the centre bearing. (four wheel drive). When I put the car in reverse and start to move, it is very noticeable that the play is greater than going forward direction. I thought I would note that after the engine, gearing and road speed are matched the response in acceleration is delayed, which is why I started to look at the suspension.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

The only other component I can see that can cause an issue like this here is a fault with the transmission itself.If there is an issue with one of the gears inside of it that is worn or damaged this can cause this type of fault here.It is difficult to pinpoint the exact fault from here without seeing the vehicle but this sounds like an internal transmission issue needing inspected further which may require removal and tear down of the transmission to inspect fully to then locate and repair this issue here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its not the gearbox. I suspect it may be the dualmass flywheel and that it may have come apart and the damping is not working.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This is possible here.If the flywheel is slipping or come apart in any way due to damage or wear this may cause this as well here.The only way to be sure though is to have it inspected to see if it needs replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else here and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete