Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 95 Lexus ES300. About a year ago the speedometer…

Customer Question
I have a 95 Lexus...
I have a 95 Lexus ES300. About a year ago the speedometer periodically didn't work. My mechanic sent the cluster for repair an it worked fine since unti recently. This time both the speedometer and/or the tach periodically stick on zero. Always when you first start and drive off. The cluster was sent for repair again and they replaced two capacitors as I understand it. Back in the vehicle and neither are working. I test drove myself and both the cruise control and odometer are working fine. No check engine or other fault lights. Could this be something other than a fault in the cluster?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Car
1/29/2016
AU Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

It is possible since there are no running or driving issues with this fault here that the fault here is with the instrument cluster electrical connections causing this fault needing repaired or an issue within the instrument cluster that the repair facility has been unable to locate.I have seen both cause this type of fault here needing corrected.

I would have the connections checked for any issues and if found to be o.k. the instrument cluster may need re checked by a different facility to see if a fault is found needing repaired with it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Hi Pete:
This matter remains unresolved. An auto electrician has checked the signal to the instrument cluster and found no problem. Another facility has checked the cluster and also found no problem after bench testing for two or three days. In the process, the auto electrician tripped the airbag light by turning the ignition on while the cluster was disconnected and his scanner was unable to reset it. When I took it to Toyota to get the fault light reset, the mechanic who did that suggested that the fault is unlikely to be wiring or circuit board related but probably the needle motors. That was based on the notion that it is both the tach and/or the speedo that stick on zero intermittently, that they both work fine while driving once they are going and also that if stuck, if you give the cluster a firm tap they jump into life. He suggested though that I first check that the needles themselves aren't sticking, in case someone has perhaps been in there to replace some needle LEDs and reinstalled the needles a bit too tight. He suggested I raise them a smidgen and if the fault remains replace the needle motors.Does that make any sense?