Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Matt. I have a 2014 dual cab Triton with major problems with…

Customer Question
Hi Matt. My name...

Hi Matt. My name is***** have a 2014 dual cab Triton with major problems with turbo lag on take off. The car has just turned over 45,000 km . I am a tradie and carry approx. 300kg of tools and gear on board. I have had 4 near misses at intersections where there has been no pick up and i have to rev the crap out of it and ride the clutch to get any momentum on inclines. I do this every morning trying to get out of my driveway (only 14m in length) after sitting idle for three minutes waiting for the car to warm up. ( i have to do this or I cant get going at all). It makes no difference in high or low 4. I have a camper trailer (just over 1000kg) that I cant tow out of the garage, a mini excavator on an 8 * 5 Tandem trailer that I cannot move from a building site due to the incline I have to tow it up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Mitsubish have told me at its last 30,000 service that it is because of the saffari snorkel and the BF goodrich tyres I have installed, Saffari have stated that the snorkel makes no difference to the turbo performance on take off and the tyres add an extra 98mm to the running distance from the standard tyres supplied. It is in for its 45,000 service today and am sure I will get the run around from mitsubishi again. The car does not perform the way it should and I am at a loss as to what to do? I should have kept my 2008 model. I do a lot of rural work and travel a lot of dirt tracks and went straight to a newer model of turbo diesel triton having been so happy with my last one. I am waiting to see how long my clutch hold out before that needs replacing as that is the only thing I can smell when I try and take off on any sort of incline. No doubt mitsubishi wont cover that under warranty. I have no issues with the triton once I am moving, it runs extremely well. Its just a matter of getting started. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Car
1/25/2016
AU Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If the snorkel is blocking air intake flow into the engine it is possible this is causing this here.You can try and disconnect it temporarily and see if this corrects this issue here.If it does then the snorkel needs removed or modified to correct this issue.

If this is found to be o.k. if the exhaust has not been checked for any restrictions this needs done.If there is a fault with a restricted exhaust component it will need replaced.

I would also have the fuel system tested to see if this is a lack of fuel due to a fault with a fuel pump/injection pump or fuel filter issue needing replaced.If all of these are checked and found to be o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete