Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I recently purchased a 2010 BMW 535i with 49000 km on it.

Customer Question
Hi Mike, I recently purchased a...
Hi Mike,
I recently purchased a 2010 BMW 535i with 49000 km on it. The day I took posession, an engine fault warning came on which resulted in BMW doing the following repairs (at their cost):
1. The cylinder head and associated small components have been replaced. This was due to wear.
2. The eccentric shaft has been replaced. The was due to wear.
3. The vanos adjustment units have been replaced. This was due to an internal fault.
4. The DME engine control unit has been replaced. This was due to an internal fault.
5. Various small items in conjunction with the above 4 repairs such gaskets, clamps, seals and o-rings etc.
Surprising to me that a car with such low mileage would require such extensive repair. Do you think this car is prone to more issues (ie. I purchased a lemon)? Or comparatively, is it a better car now than others out there due to all the engine repair/replacement work? Just trying to decide whether I should keep the car or replace it with a different used car.
Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Car
1/20/2016
AU Auto Mechanic: Jon Scott,
 replied 2 years ago
Jon Scott

Hi my name is***** am an ASE Certified Master technician. Here is my opinion first I would find a Independent shop that specializes in BMW's. And pay them to give your car a thorough check it will be worth it to find out now. As far as all these problems all happening at once I highly doubt it these are all common problem areas for this car. As a shop forman I believe that the technician made all of these recommendations based common problems with this car knowing he can get the work approved. Most mechanics get paid by how much work they do and not by the hour. I would also like to verify that all of this work has been done and that the mechanic found one or two problems and only fixed them and got paid for the other jobs listed to get paid for things he did not do. I am a shop supervisor and I would have checked and confirmed that all of this work was done. If their is any other way I can help let me know. Please rate me once you are satisfied with my service.

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the response. As mentioned, all the repair work was paid for by BMW (appaently done with consultation from Munich), so I am less concerned with that. What I am more questioning is whether this car is likely to be troublesome for me going forward, or with these repairs I have a better car than others I could likely find on the market. Australia Consumer laws entitle me to a refund or replacement for 'major faults' so, I'm just trying to decide if I should accept this car or ask for a refund/replacement. Would appreciate your thoughts on that.Thanks
AU Auto Mechanic: Jon Scott,
 replied 2 years ago

I would like to have some one to check behind the other technician. Just as if you would ask a second opinion from a doctor I would do so in this situation. If all of the work was performed and done so correctly this would be a good car.

AU Auto Mechanic: Jon Scott,
 replied 2 years ago

Please let me know if I can help you with any thing else.

Jon

AU Auto Mechanic: Jon Scott,
 replied 2 years ago

Is their any more questions or some thing else I can help you with.

Thanks, Jon. This is helpful. There is one other minor issue that I wonder if you have experience with. When connecting an iPhone 6S via Bluetooth, the contacts do not appear in the BMW iDrive. However, if you manually add a contact on the iDrive system itself, suddenly all bluetooth contacts appear and are functional. The moment you shut the car off, however, the contacts disappear again. Do you know anything about this type of stuff or do you know where I can go to find out more information on how it can be fixed. The dealership says that the phone is probably not compatible with the system, though I would think the contacts wouldn't show at all if that were the case.
Cheers!
Paul
AU Auto Mechanic: Jon Scott,
 replied 2 years ago

I would talk to Iphone tech support I thinking they would have the mos knowledge on this matter.