Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

My 2001 rover auto jerks when changing down gears

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Australia Car
1/15/2016
AU Auto Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Is this a Discover or Range Rover? and is it a 4.0 liter engine? thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a rover 75 2001 75 series v6 it jerks when it changes gears down is the worst

I'm sorry, I see this vehicle is in Australia, My mistake, I only have references for vehicles in the USA. Let me opt out and another expert can assist then. Thank you.

AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

the jatco transmisson in these is prone to shift issues where the solenoid valve block can sometimes need replacing

however 1st try

I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer