rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

My name is ***** *****, I have an '06 a
, Sorry, typing

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my name is ***** *****, I have an '06 a
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sorry, typing error, 06 Accord. Two years ago the emission light came on after a long drive to France from UK. It cleared easily. Now I've driven down through France and it came on again, and cleared again. Driving the lengthoof Spain the next day, it came on after we'd arrived and set off for a short drive - still on.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Honda Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'm going out, but can leave my computer on,(it might close automatically) back this afternoon. A satisfactory answer would be worth while.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The abs light went on a year ago, and all checked out with the system so I'm assuming a dodgy sensor. Another light related to braking is now showing, so along with the abs light I now have a circular brake image light and the engine outline emission light. It seems related to the long journey two years back, and our three day drive to Spain no problems in between. I was cruising at 80 - 90 mph to keep up to our accommodation bookings, as the ferry was cancelled to Bilbao, and we had to drive down from Cherbourg - I don't usually do protracted high speeds - maybe that's connected.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

Let's first clear the complete system and see what, if anything returns. If the light come on again, the system will need to be tested with a scan tool and codes retrieved and identified to go any further. See attachment.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Ron, I will follow the procedure tomorrow morning and get back to you. I'm assuming that I disconnect, short together, and then wait 20 mins, rather than shorting after the 20 mins - tell me if I'm wrong ...?
I'm mechanically minded as a motorcyclist who builds my own machines (of the old fashioned sort) better with a file than a probe. I'm far from a Honda dealer here, and going back to England in 8 weeks - hopefully by car, this one - I really like it ...Kerry.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Either way you get the same results.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need more help later on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning Ron,
Test completed, the engine emission light went off as I started off, and stayed off. I took it up to full throttle. 3,800 rpm in third a couple of times, did some traffic and ticking over and all is good. The brake information lights are still on, but I know the pads, fluid, performance and 'feel' are all ok, so I'm assuming a bad sensor. There's one light above the zero on the fuel gauge says ABS, and the circular logo above full tank.
It would be very handy to know what conclusions you can draw from the available data, ad whether that method with the terminals will be useful if it happens again.
Thanks - very pleased here!
Kerry.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kerry, now I would check the ABS computer for codes and also check the wheel speed sensors for being cracked or dirty.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me later on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ron, the information you gave me was great as far as it goes, in that the light is now off - but I'm still no wiser concerning what happened, what might have caused it, whether it is likely to happen again - in short I feel I'm only half way there. Turning computers off and then back on is a simple trick, one which I'm glad to have learned, but some diagnosis would be a better way to apply your experience. I do hope you can help with that, and there's no hurry if you're busy.
Thanks again,
Kerry.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

This is just a matter of seeing what these computers are telling us and going from there. The data is paramount right now.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the experience you advertise Ron, it's a shame I'm only getting what a seventeen year old trainee could have told me. I'm wanting to come out of this with some understanding of what has gone on, and you are simply dealing with it at the level of lights going on or off. I need to know more than that to rate you above poor - so I'm asking again for information regarding the engine emission light, what it means when it comes on, is shorting the leads a solution or a cure of the symptoms? Surely you can give me some idea of what is involved here, or links to relevant information? Is the car's mileage relevant?Kerry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have the data Ron - now put those years of experience to work and give me some information as to what happened and why.
I like to go a bit deeper than lights on the dashboard, and 40 years experience should enable you to do more than turn computers on and off.
I'm sufficiently disappointed in this service to put a warning out to the Honda Forum and others to avoid being ripped off here.