Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

I have a 2003 toyota landcruiser gxl wagon. When driving car

Customer Question

Hi,, I have a 2003 toyota landcruiser gxl wagon. When driving car goes into limp home mode , this does nit happen when travelling quickly on open roads hiwever happens when slowing for traffic lights, intersection or stopping to idol. Toyota have replaced the throttle position sensor for over $1000 however this hasnt fixed the problem . Not safe so would apprecuate any feedback. Thanks
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The computer system will place the system into safe mode when the compute sees a fault and when this happens the computer should set and store a fault code and or codes. In order to determine what is failing the first thing you need to do it to have the computer system scanned and the fault code and or codes retrieved. If you can get that done and post back with them we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron, Toyota do this and it points to the throttle sensor area however they say my car is to old to get an accurate code. They know say it may be the power supply as new part hasn't fixed problem
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You car is not to old to set an accurate code. Do you know the actual code you are getting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron, Toyota are saying that the code is 19 - this is the Toyota code NOT a generic code. Which they advise to be in relation of the accelerator pedal closed switch function. Hence they replaced the throttle position sensor for $1150 with no effect to problem. I have noticed that the car does not go into limp mode on short journeys, it seems more likely to do this after 40 min plus drive time then when slowing down for traffic lights, give way or idling. I need to turn car off for 3 - 4 seconds then it starts again.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I am not find any engine control code 19. All engine control code should be P codes and there 4 digits.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The service manager said it was not a generic code but an internal Toyota code, are you saying the Toyota code should have 4 digits.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Unless there is something different with the computer control system on Australian built Land Cruisers that I am not aware of then yes. All engine control code start with a P followed by 4 digits. I can not find any reference to any code 19 for the engine control system.