Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I have a Ford Ranger 2010, built in South frica. Since I had

Customer Question

I have a Ford Ranger 2010 , built in South frica. Since I had it the 5 speed auto gearshift hs been rough, particularly from 3rd to 4th. It feels as if the 3rd clutch is " holding " and not dumping its pressure, then at same 4th is engaging causing the transmission to jerk very violently. The Ford dealers have consistently refuse to do anything about it. There is alos a load noise, like a pressure relief valve pifting when vehicle is in 5th at about 2,000 rpm. The noise changes as the accelerator is applied or released. Mike Craig
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

If you start it in low gear and manually move the shifter up thru the gears does it shift normally?

Have any repairs or tests been done at all on this in the last 5yrs to correct it or has Ford refused to even do tests on it

Please remember that I am not there and therefore may need to ask for additional information at times

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good day Eric,the gear change is the same in auto as in manual selection,1-2-3 not too bad, 3-4 is the real issue except if I increased the roadspeed from 40 kph to 55kph and manually shit 3-4 is is less apparent.If in auto 3-4 there is that "drag " of 1.0-1.5 secs followed by violent engaging of 4 even causing severe backlash hammer in the transmission all the way to the diff.The local Ford dealers have consistently refused to do anything other than they claim to have changed the valve block, with little difference. I did drive two other vehicles of the same year and series belonging to friends of mine, and theirs work smoothly. I should pint out that I am a mech eng ( Marine) so have some knowledge of how auto trans work.I suggested to the Ford guys that they try changing the modules as a test, but they refused. ( The Ford Dealers in Mauritius do not enjoy a good reputation for their after-sales service, and the technical standards of the Managers is lacking. )My only option now, to avoid permanent damage is to fix it myself. Hence I need your experience and input as to the cause of the symptoms. Maybe I can still go back and have a crack at Ford .to me it seems to be an issue with the clutch pack pressures synchronising - 4th clutch pack pressuring before 3rd clutch has dumped its pressure. Thats how it feels like, hence that drag in the transmission as soon as the change command is given and that violent slam effect as soon as the torque is released to the 4th clutchThen as per my first email, there is a very loud noise sounding very much like a pressure relief valve lifting when in 5th gear at 70kph+. When cruising with minimum applied power the noise is very evident. As soon as I apply the accelerator the sound disappears, and immediately reappears as soon as I easy off.I hope the above will give you some direction as to the causes.Thanks alot,
Mike Craig
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I suspect that the either as you suspect a fault with the clutch packs or possibly a faulty 4th gear pressure switch, which would cause same symptoms

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mng Eric,thanks the valued opinion. Looking at the records, the FORD dealers did say they replaced the " valve body " I assume they mean the valve block. But when we took the truck out on test it was no different.I am still concerned also about the high pitched noise which sounds very much like a relief valve lifting. Any ideas and could this be related to the principal issue ? One thing I have noticed is that when I start the truck in winter ( here in Mauritius in the town where I live it is about 15C in the mng ), the gear change is not as violent, but as soon as the oil warms up and the viscosity reduces, the problem manifests itself again. Where can I get a copy of the schematic ?Thanks again,
brgds
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, if you have a phone that records, take for a drive and record the noise, then upload to youtube and post the link here for me to hear it. Noises can be a bit deceptive and hearing it is the best way to diagnose it.

For schematics, I need the 17 digit vin number

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,
sorry about the delay. In fact I have a wireless audio sensor which I can clip to the transmission which I then connect to a recorder . This device picks up only the sound being emitted by the target component closest to which the sensor is clipped and blocks out surrounding noise. I use it for listening to ships engines, pumps, generators turbo-chargers etc where there is a high level of surrounding noise and resonance . Give me a day and I'll send you the sound recording,
Many thanks ,
Mike Craig