sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

My Chrysler grand voyager 2011 2.8 diesel Huddersfield as it

Customer Question

My Chrysler grand voyager 2011 2.8 diesel Huddersfield as it comes to a halt. It's on brakes as happens when brakes are not applied. It's getting worse and is almost a thud now. Local Chrysler dealership has had it for 2 days but can't diagnose. Any ideas?
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some typos in post. Correct question below:My Chrysler grand voyager 2011 2.8 diesel Judders as it comes to a halt. It's not brakes as happens when brakes are not applied. It's getting worse and is almost a thud now. Local Chrysler dealership has had it for 2 days but can't diagnose. Any ideas?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What speed are you traveling when this happens?

It happens while coasting only?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - It happens when the car is coming to a halt only. Ie, coming up to lights I'll slow down and about half a second before the car stops the car lurches and judders before stopping. It's almost like when driving a manual car and you forget to dip the clutch before stopping. It's not breaks as it happens when brakes are not applied.

If the engine is dragging down with the same feel as forgetting to press the clutch with a manual trans then the torque converter clutch is almost certainly coming on. This is often caused by the converter itself but on this trans the valve body was the most common cause. The fluid level should be checked also and it's also possible that there is damage to the filter, either way if the pump sucks air it can cause the converter clutch to lock.