Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

My car a 2007 v8 range rover sport has been travelling

Customer Question

My car a 2007 v8 range rover sport has been travelling beautifully until about 200km into our journey a message flashed "engine system fault". The message indicated to look up the book. Not displayed as urgent or critical message. When this happened we experienced total power loss. The engine kept running. We pulled up on the roadside. Switched engine off, read the book, nothing in there, and switched engine back on and continued our journey. Driving short distances this has not happened. Driving home it happened again around 200km (2hrs approx) both with and without cruise control.
Have you heard of this happening? And why or what's the problem? And how much to fix?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Kevin this is the type of fault that puts car into what's know as limp home mode .it basically means the car isn't happy with a reading from a sensor somewhere on engine it could be anything from egr fault to bad can sensor . The only way to know for sure the cause is to have car plugged into fault code reader and faults read from car .i guess it's just a bad sensor somewhere as car runs fine until car sees fault again .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is egr fault and what is bad can sensor. Is this a common fault, and as asked before an estimation of cost please.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Egr is exhaust gas recirculating valve and cam shaft position sensor I gave these as examples without codes I wouldn't want to guess and mislead you as to cost because it could literally be anything causing if you come back to me with fault codes il give you likely cause and cost

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did mention total power loss which seems quite dangerous and if I had been passing another vehicle, especially a long truck, could have been very unfortunate. This is not what I'd call limp home mode. Moreover the manual does not mention this error but the symbol on the dash indicates the manual. The warning is not indicated as urgent but is it?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

I would say with the severe power loss your experiencing it is urgent