Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

Mate I've got a 2002 ba xr8 ute and the brake lights

Customer Question

Hi mate I've got a 2002 ba xr8 ute and the brake lights randomly come on without keys in ignition People say the brake pedal switch all though theres no power going to the brakes without the key in the ignition
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem could very likely be a faulty break light switch and the quick way to determine if that is the cases is to unplug the switch while the problem is occurring and see if the light then go out. If so then replace the switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey mate replaced the switch and its still doing the same.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Do the light stay on if you unplug the switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah it did.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The you are getting a short to power in the break light circuit and tracing that down is going to be the next step. Unfortunately that is something that is going to require some hands on testing.