Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

I have a holden rodeo 2002 with 3.2 V6 and 5 speed manual

Customer Question

I have a holden rodeo 2002 with 3.2 V6 and 5 speed manual dual fuel.
I didn't drive the car for around 3 weeks and the battery went dead.
After charging the battery and checking the voltage (13.1 Volts) I connected the battery but the car wont start and it was running perfectly fine before the battery went dead, its getting fuel but not spark I checked the connection to the coils at the plug and and its showing 12 volts using the ground prob at the plug ground and 12 volts at the positive but there is no trigger voltage at the trigger wire, I did the same check at the crank sensor plug and I get 12 volts at all 3 wires but with the ground prob at the plug and the power prob at the + battery terminal which is really weird because it should be the same as the coil plug until you turn the engine over and I get the same result with the keys on or off, the only thing I replaced so far is the ecu but nothing as changed.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Did you link the new ECU to the immobiliser?

If you can give me your VIN, I'll look it up for your immobiliser code if you need it.

Have you run a DTC check on the ECU?

Gary

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It does have an immobiliser a Dynamco Australia that was already on the car when I bought and I don't know if when it was installed if they linked it to the ecu but I bypassed the immobiliser and still won't start, I have a cheap scanner which allowes me to do certain things including error codes of which I get the following
P1626
Vehicle theft deterrent fuel enable signal not received.P0711
Transmission fluid temperature sensor "A" circuit range/performanceU3900
Pending (undefined code)
The only one that wouldn't allow the car to start would be the first one and I suspect the immobiliser as well even bypassing the immobiliser may not start the car because the ecu may still be waiting for the signal I might have to get of the tech guys from Dynamco to come out and check the immobiliser
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Sounds like you have a bit of knowledge there.

The P1626 is certainly the issue.

The factory immobiliser is a better option, the key reader is mounted around the ignition barrel, and the immobiliser module is mounted behind the cluster above your left foot, about where the clutch pedal would be if it was a manual.

I'd keep an eye on that P0711 for your auto.

Hope the Dynamco guy can help you.

Gary

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I'll let you know the outcome
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Ok, good luck and I'll await your reply.

Gary

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a ecu issue and the problem is that I need a new one but at $2750 from Holden I'm going to try find a second hand one the only thing is it had to be completely erased so that Holden can reprogram my car info into it I did get a used one from the wreckers but it needs to be in the car that it come with to be erased
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

The ECU doesn't need to erased, only unlinked from the immobiliser.

Then it can fitted to your vehicle and liked to your immobiliser.

I work for Holden, so it's easy for me with TECH2.

If the donor ECU comes from the same model/year etc then the program will be the same, if it's from a different m/y then an SPS program update will be needed.

You should be able to get a good second hand one.

Gary

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did get a second hand one but it has the information from the car it came from but when you connect it to mine it doesn't recognise the vin number or any other information and that's why it gives you the anti theft error code the rodeo up to 2002 don't have a factory immobiliser and the after market one that's in there now as nothing to do with the ecu it's not connected to it the ignition module which is inside the ecu is not communicating the info to the rest of the ecu because it can't match the car info to what's stored in the ecu
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Ok, the donor ECU needs to be reflashed with your VIN.

I'd say you need TIS2WEB access like a GM dealer would have.

Have you got a Holden dealer nearby, that may be willing to do the swap for you?

Gary

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I took the car to a holden dealer near by and they done a diagnoses on it, the problem is that they cant use my original ecu because cant get a link to the ecu so it cant be used its damaged and the second one I got can be erased but it needs to be in the car that it come from, so at this stage im trying to find an ecu that's already been erased
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

The ECU does not need to be erased.

It needs to be "reset" which unlinks it from the immobiliser from the original vehicle.

I always do this prior to removal regardless of warranty or retail repair.

Reason being that Holden cannot fit that ECU into another for testing purposes.

Buying one from a wrecker won't get you one that has been unlinked correctly.

Gary

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Holden rodeo up to 2002 don't have immobilisers because they are Isuzu imports unlike the 2003 onwards because they are built/design by Australia
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Ah Yes, your engine is a 6VD1 not 6VE1, so single cam per bank not quad cam?

And being dual fuel, does it run on LPG?

Gary

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't know if it runs on gas because the car needs to be running to switch from petrol to lpg and the lpg ecu learns from the petrol ecu to run if some how I could switch to lpg there is a good chance that it won't run because I suspect that it will try to communicate with the car ecu for spark and fuel delivery
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Yes, you're probably right there.

Gets confusing with dual fuel cars.

It is a 6VD1 engine?

Gary

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is 6VD1 engine and the lpg system has got its own set of electronics and I don't have any thing that can communicate with lpg ecu and then there is so many different types of lpg systems all I know is that its got a self learning system but nothing to learn from at the moment.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

I'll see what else I can find out when I'm at work tomorrow.

Gary