Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

My car cranks over but sounds like the ignition is

Customer Question

My car cranks over but sounds like the ignition is overturning then when I put in another gear, the overturning stops then when I'm driving the steering feels like it's over steering and seems the car wants to turn when I'm steering go straight ahead. There's a lot of play in the steering wheel. Please help!!
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

1997, so VS Calais.

Sounds like you have two troubles there, the steering needs to be looked at for worn joints that upset the alignment figures and make it steer vaguely in a straight line, pull one or the other, not self centre correctly etc.

Your other problem sounds like the ignition switch and/or a sticky ignition barrel, the key should release from the crank position to the run position by itself, if you let go of the key. What does it do if you bring the key back manually as you start it?

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Have you tried as suggested above?

Gary