sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Kia: I have a 1999 sportage, I have just changed the oil, oil

Customer Question

I have a 1999 sportage, I have just changed the oil, oil filter, spark plugs & leeds, fuel filter and air cleaner. Filled it with oil, started it up and it runs very rough and now makes a steal clunk sound about every 15-20 secs.
I notices when i changed the rear spark plug that there was a reasonable amount of oil around the plug
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!
If it was running ok before the work was done then I suspect the issue ws caused by oil falling into a cylinder. If a spark plug well had oil in it due to a leaking seal at the top then that oil would have fallen into the affected cylinder when the spark plug was removed. That would cause that affected cylinder to misfire and could possibly cause a mechanical noise if there was enough oil because it can't be compressed by the piston.
Did the problem go away after running the engine for a while?