Scott
Scott, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30 yrs experience with Aussie, Japanese & British cars
29644491

Mazda bt50,4wd,diesal: 1998,2.4 mazda diesal ute,put it in

Customer Question

1998,2.4 mazda diesal ute,put it in reverse it went clunk and then NO reverse all other gears work and 4wd still works with no reverse,thank you
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Scott replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, I've heard of later versions of Mazda - Ford utes with failures of the 5th- reverse selector ring (internal to the gearbox) which results in no 5th & reverse. If you still have 5th, but no reverse, I'll suggest you have a similar issue but with the capacity to engage 5th. It could also be the selector fork.Whichever way, it will entail a stripdown & inspection of the gearbox, probably with a full recondition in mind..Sorry the news couldn't be better!CheersScott
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you scott,it would be the best idea to re-con the gear box,thanks for your time,johno
Expert:  Scott replied 2 years ago.
All good - thanks Johno & best of luck with it..