Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Odyssey: 2004 Honda odyssey wagon 4 cylinder 2.4 litre reverse…

Customer Question
2004 Honda odyssey wagon 4...
2004 Honda odyssey wagon 4 cylinder 2.4 litre reverse lights not working, fuse is ok and power to fuse and out of fuse ok but no power at taillights. cant find relay or any info to tell me its location for the elimination process?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Car
6/23/2015
AU Auto Mechanic: Vladimir Grodskiy, Auto Electrician replied 2 years ago
Vladimir Grodskiy
Vladimir Grodskiy, Auto Electrician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.My name is ***** ***** my information, there is a Reverse relay located in the under dash fuse/relay box.The relay receives +12V from the 10A Fuse #9 with key ON or Start. The relay is energized when you move your shifter into Reverse ( the transmission range switch provides ground path to the relay that in turn "clicks" supplying +12v to the reverse lights.)You will need to determine if the relay energized in Reverse and if it is not, then check whether it is a wiring issue or the trans range switch is bad.If it clicks, then you need to determine if the relay is bad or the wire between the relay and back-up lights is open.Thanks,Vlad
Hi Vlad
On our model the fuse is #7. Have swapped relays around but cannot determine exactly which one is the reverse light one. With 2 of the relays out the signal is lost to the gear select illumination lights.
When shifting in and out of reverse there is still a relay clicking that sounds like it is in the back of the internal fuse cluster.
any more ideasthanks
Mark
Hi Mark,
Yes. it is quite possible AU market has different wiring setup.
If you have some clicking when you put it to reverse and out, then try to find that relay and see if it has any power to switch it to the rear lamps when the relay is energized.
Could you please also check what color is the wire supplying voltage to the reverse light bulbs at the rear lamps ? My system shows Green/Black wire.
Also, they say the fuse and relay are located in the driver side fuse relay box so in our market it means on the passenger side( unless they use different wiring for RHD market).
Thanks,
Vlad
hey mate any chance of the exact location of the reverse light relay please,
As I mentioned above I have information about US market Honda so i can only assume it will be on the passenger side in our AU market, but unfortunatelly I can't tell you for sure as I have no access to any Odyssey model to check it in real life.
If you have something clicking when you move the shifter into reverse, just try to locate by sound it makes.
Thanks
hey man have pin pointed the area in which the relay clicks, but verifying which one it is by touch from a clicking/flicking action, can't tell for sure which relay it is due too not being able to feel through the plastic relay case, the action of the actuation inside relay can be heard but not felt right across the board.
hey man also remember that the reverse fuse for aust model Odyssey incab under r/h/d steering wheel to the right in fuse location 7.
Hi Mark,
I checked wiring diagrams again and it shows me that Fuse #7 located in the under dash fuse/relay box is for rear quarter window relays.
It looks like RHD version is different according to information you supply.
You can try to pull the relay out( one at time) in order to determine which one is clicking.
I can opt out and open your question for other experts .
Please let me know.
Cheers
Hey mate id rather not opt out, instead are you able too try an acquire outside help
in order to improve your knowledge and mine for future reference.
im also quite happy to photograph the fuse lid, fuse location diagrams and a photograph
of the fuse diagram legend found in owners manual.
I would gladly help you more but I have no access to any information about Honda, as I work for Chrysler.
I just have my own program but that covers only North American market.
I would probably figured out your back up lighting problem if I actually could to see and work on your car.
So I would just find a clicking relay by pulling out each one till it stops clicking when shifting into reverse, than you will need to confirm that the relay has +12V power on its switching contact side and that removing the fuse actually interrupts that power. After that I would just supply +12v to the output terminal of the relay and check if your real backup lamps work. if not, then there could be an issue with the wire between the relay and rear lamps.
Vlad
Vladimir Grodskiy
Vladimir Grodskiy
Vladimir Grodskiy, Auto Electrician