Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Hyundai i20: can my Hyundai i20 tow a tiny teardrop caravan…

can my Hyundai i20 tow...
can my Hyundai i20 tow a tiny teardrop caravan which ways around 900lbs
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/22/2014
AU Auto Mechanic: Clement, Diagnostic Technician replied 8 years ago
Clement
Clement, Diagnostic Technician

900lbs is around 408kg - the i20 has an unbraked towing capacity of 450kg.

Technically yes, you could tow a small caravan, however I would not recommend it. 900lbs is pretty close to the towing limit of the i20. You did not mention if you had an auto or manual transmission, but either way towing a heavy load with a small car can put a tremendous strain on the driveline and especially the transmission clutches.

Alot will also depend on the type of roads, do you expect to be stopping and starting often, or will you be cruising for most of the journey? Taking off from a standstill is when the most wear and tear occurs.

Again, I would not recommend it, however you can weigh up the options - by all means if it is only going to be a once off tow then I would say go for it!

If you do decide to use the i20 for towing, I would recommend going over the car doing a quick safety check. Pump up the tyres, check to see they have enough tread, are the brakes serviceable and up for the job? They will be wearing out alot faster having to cope with the added mass!

Hope this helps!
Clement
Clement, Diagnostic Technician