Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

holden ts astra: My 2002 Opel holden astra ts 1.8 has started…

My 2002 Opel holden astra...
My 2002 Opel holden astra ts 1.8 has started stalling while driving can be going slow or fast motor cuts out like you switched it off, no warning no coughing ,just stops ,can be on straight stretch of road,doesnt matter where it is.Pull over and sometimes it will restart and drive off other times you have to sit for awhile before it will start.All instrument lights come on at first ,then go off once started.No missing on cylinders, runs very nicely when normal driving.have had it in garage, computer checked keys checked,has had crank sensor in 1 year ago garage still not fixed problem,seems to be frequent problem with these cars but no one has an answer,or they don't want to tell anyone because they treat you as a cash cow keep coming back until you get sick and tired of falking out money,any help would be appreciated. Darrill
5/17/2014
AU Auto Mechanic: Clement, Diagnostic Technician replied 8 years ago
Clement
Clement, Diagnostic Technician

How often does this happen?

Do you notice that it only happens once the engine gets warm/hot?

very inconsistent can go for days or can be frequent like twice in 2 hours 2nd question , off hand it doesnt really seem to make much difference although most times it has been driven before it happens so engine would be warm if not hot.

Ok. You mentioned that the computer was checked. Was this the engine ECU? And do you know how exactly it was checked - if it was taken out of the car and sent away, or if they hooked up a scanner to run diagnostics?

they told me it had been sent to Melbourne for analysis explained that it would be hooked up left on machine to see if any faults showed up, got it back don't know what they found. if anything.I do know that the local garage hooked it up before sending it away.problem still there.

Ok, based on the symptoms you've described, there could be a number of things causing the car to cut out. Typically with the TS Astra, they are notorious for faulty ignition coil packs and engine ECUs which break down under heat. The workshops which you've been to have a point - it is difficult to diagnose an intermittent fault. They cannot fix that which is not broken!

There are a few things you can try, wiggle the key in the ignition barrel, or firmly tap the steering column shroud just under the steering wheel. A dodgy ignition switch with bad contacts can cause the car to cut out, though I would not think this would be entirely related to your case, as you mentioned that you once tried restarting and it would crank but not restart straight away?

This would indicate more of a fuel or spark related problem. Again, without the car faulting on a more regular basis for tests to be carried out and run, it is often a case of replacing components in a systematic order and monitoring the progress.

With regards XXXXX XXXXX ECU testing, I've seen it quite a few times where it only internally open circuits when it has been running for awhile and has had heat soaked into it. Often the car would start cut out. You would crank and get nothing. If you can get it up to this stage, there is a test that you can do. Get a can of brake cleaner (repco/autobarn/super cheap auto) and douse the heatsink/housing of the ECU for a good 10 - 15 seconds. This cools it down tremendously and if you find that you can start the car up again straight away then you know you have a bad ECU. If you look in your engine bay towards the right hand side it looks like this:

This also means that taking the ECU out to get sent away to get tested is not going to yield a result, as the ECU only faults when it gets hot! This might also be the reason why it seems to be restarting straight away for you - we are in the cooler months now, in summer you would have had to wait alot longer for the ECU to dissipate all that heat before it would work again.

Let me know how you go. If you are satisfied with my help please remember to give me a positive rating on JA!
Clement
Clement, Diagnostic Technician

Car is going back in to garage Monday I will take on board your thoughts on my problem ,unfortunately I don't know a great deal about what they have found or what they haven't ,but will try to get a bit more information on Monday,I agree with your summary ,it is a hit and miss situation but surely with the amount of vehicles with this sort of problem how in the hell doesnt someone know what the problem is it must have been fixed by someone at some time, it couldn't have fixed itself the garage has had my car for 3 weeks on and off and as I stated still the same.Now its hunting up and down.something else I suppose.

Is it hunting all the time now?

If you were to take it in to the workshop while it is faulting I'm sure they will be able to find something.

I found the hunting problem,I had taken the air cleaner off to check and must of dislodged vacuam hose, put it back on and is running sweet.

Ah. Good to hear you got that sorted. If they manage to pull any codes from the computer let me know what the are.